Known as “Brown Sauce” in layman language which is prominently used in classical French cuisine. The base of this sauce is “Brown Roux” (flour & butter is cooked well till it turns nutty brown). Then brown stock & tomato puree is added to it. It is very strong in taste.
- Flour – 60 gms
- Butter – 50 ml
- Tomato Puree – 25 gms
- Brown Stock – 1 litre
- Carrot – 100 gms
- Onions – 100 gms
- Celery – 50 gms
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan.
- Add flour, cook out slowly to a light brown color stirring frequently.
- Cool and mix in tomato puree.
- Gradually mix in boiling stock, bring it to boil.
- Wash peel and roughly cut vegetable.
- Lightly brown in little butter in a frying pan.
- Drain off the fat and add to the sauce.
- Simmer gently for 4-6 hours; skim when necessary & strain.